Another Memory especially for Gluten-free Bloggers - Repeat Post from Chaya's Comfy Cook

This was one of my first posts and I still had no photos.  I plan to make this again to see what is really is.

"Go ahead honey, it’s gluten free"

Life can be wonderful.  It was only a few weeks ago that I discovered,  the gluten free world is as active as those “normal” folk, who may not be constrained by a special diet.

I am new to blogging and I continue to be enchanted by the wonderful foodies and fascinating blogs.  What is thrilling, is that we have a multitude of bloggers who address the gluten free eater.   Reading recipe after recipe throughout the Internet, throughout the world, I find recipes that match the richness and flavor and originality that others share.  It is proven that gluten-free does not mean deprivation.

My husband is the one who needs this diet but as the years have passed, I have joined him, and although not completely gluten free, I would say a majority of what I cook and eat fits the requirements of anyone with celiac disease.  The food is delicious.  The variety is startling.  The ease of cooking is no different from anyone else.

Gluten Free Bloggers share like other groups do and this month we are sharing on manly food.  My first thought was, “meat“, roast, hamburger, stew, or pepper steak.  I checked this with hubby and what did he say?  Meat!  I went to look through some good meat dishes that I have wanted to cook but stopped in my tracks.  We eat meat, maybe, once a week–so my husband isn’t manly?  Of course, that is not the case.  Manly food is more diverse than this and is not that different from women.  We both eat quiche, we both eat pasta, we both eat salmon and we both eat dairy, as a starting point.

That opened the entire world to me so I thought of dessert and I made a  blueberry/peach crumble but I decided to use that for the Blogger Secret Ingredient (BSI) which happens to be blueberries.  The joys of blueberries.   You can add them to yogurt, add them to a fruit salad, fill a blintz, make a pie or coffeecake and I am betting you can name an easy ten more recipes.  I will share that with you in another post.  I took a little taste and I want more.

Cinnamon and Spice is hosting this event.  You should take a hop over there and see some of her outstanding recipes.  The photos look good enough to eat.  Check after all the blueberry submissions.  You just may want to run to the store for “tons” of blueberries.

Back to manly food.  That is another place for you to visit on Monday, June 19th to find all the manly recipes.  Our most gracious hostess is Simply Gluten Free  who has shared her manly food, gluten free onion rings.   If you like onion rings, try these.

Still waiting to see what I have chosen for my manly food?  A crunchy noodle salad which I know hubby will love.   I have made something similar to this but this one beats any other pasta salad I have made.  I even heat it up and serve it as a side dish.

I am a relatively organized cook, all the ingredients out, lined up before I start.  Therefore, out came the the pasta pot, the box of spaghetti, the vegetables and the makings for the liquid which are the true enhancers of this recipe.  Then came the fun.  I am truly happy when I am chopping and mixing, even cleaning up.  It is rewarding to to view a clean kitchen after all the pots and bowls are washed and put away.

Crunch Noodle Salad
This is based on Ina Garten’s recipe of the same name.  She is better known as the Barefoot Contessa.

 Ingredients:

kosher salt to taste
1/2 pound gluten free thin spaghetti
8 ounces sugar snap peas
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons sesame oil 
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ginger
3 tablespoons toasted season seeds, divided
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (I used less because hubby does not love it.)
2 red bell pepper, cored and seeded and thinly sliced
1/ medium red onion
1 teaspoon dried parsley

Method:

Bring salted water to boil in a 4 quart pot.  Add spaghetti and cook according to directions. Drain.  Run cold water over gluten free spaghetti.  Set aside pasta.

I took a medium bowl and boiled water and added the sugar snap peas.  I microwaved this on high for 3 minutes. You can make this on stove cooking for 3 to 5 minutes, until crisp tender.  Drain the sugar snap peas and place them into ice water. Drain again.

Dressing:

Whisk together the vegetable oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, oil, sugar, garlic powder, 2 of the 3 tablespoons of sesame seeds and peanut butter in a medium bowl.
Combine the spaghetti, sugar snap peas, red onion and thin sliced red peppers.
Pour dressing over spaghetti mixture and mix gently.
I sprinkled the parsley and last spoonful of sesame seeds on top.  They can be mixed in when you serve it.

(I don't even remember this dish.)

Comments

  1. How wonderful! A few years ago when my son was on a gluten-free diet there were so few resources. It is so nice to see the wonderful blogs that feature recipes for those with special diets.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost