Celery and Tomato Meat Sauce

 Although this is credited to a Hazan, I am afraid when looking for the right Hazan, I came across this recipe by his mother and had to make it.  I don't usually use celery in  my sauces although, I have used them as a minor player, on occasion.  Celery is a vegetable that I THINK, I don't like.  How does one think such a think but it not be true?  


I have been trying to figure this out, for year, with no success.  In a recipe, I see the word, celery and I am about to remove it from the picture.  Often, I leave it in for the crunch and then love it, in every bite.  Yet, I repeat this scenario again and again.  Can any of you relate to this?


Celery & Tomato Meat Sauce - M. Hazan 

Recipe By :Marcella Cucina by Marcella Hazan (adapted)


1 pound chopped beef, turkey or chicken (I used turkey.)  

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery stalks
1 cup chopped celery leaves
2 cups Canned imported Italian plum tomatoes, cut up   (I had a container of tomato sauce that I had made that was relatively plain so I used that instead of the canned tomatoes.)
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound **Pasta 

salt and pepper to taste

Brown the chopped meat, moving it around, in a large skillet.  Drain the fat.


Add the chopped onion to 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan and turn the heat to medium.
Cook, stirring from time to time until the onion becomes a pale gold color. Add the celery stalks & leaves and cook for abut 10 minutes stirring occasionally. 


Add the tomato sauce to the cooked vegetables.  Season to your own liking with salt and pepper.

Lower the heat to low or medium low and cook at a partial simmer for about 15 or 20 minutes. 


Add chopped meat to sauce.

Cook and drain the pasta and toss it immediately and thoroughly with the sauce.



linked to What's on Your Plate?
Grocery Cart Challenge


Comments

  1. Well, I can't relate to this with celery because it is one of my favorite foods. I love the flavor and the crunch. But, there are other foods like that for me. Carrots for example. I think I don't like cooked carrots, but whenever I have them, I'm pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost