Indian Roasted Potatoes - Nigella

Over the time, I have been blogging, Nigella Lawson has become a favorite.  Since, I got Nigella's Kitchen, she has gone to the top of the list.  That book is so much more than a cookbook.  You get to know Nigella, the person, you learn shortcuts and tips for success and of course, if you make those recipes, you eat then eat well.

Let me add, it is not only this book that shows just how Nigella shines in the cooking world.  A simple recipe from Food Network or her other cook books are all ready to inspire us.

Therefore, tonight, when I decided on an Ina Garten chicken for the new group, Ina's Garden, I knew to go to Nigella to compliment the tasty chicken.  I wanted something simple but with flavor and I found  a recipe for Indian roasted potatoes.  Nigella has a long list of spices which I did not have but when I looked at two spice mixes, Shawarma spices and Indian Curry spices, I found most of them, there.  So, I improvised with what I had and we had potatoes just the right consistency - not crispy and not soft.  The Indian flavoring was not highly spiced even though I had added some chili powder to it.  It had a comfortable flavor.  The chicken and potatoes made a good match.

For Nigella's recipe, it is located on page 207 in Nigella's Kitchen or here. 


Ingredients:  (2 servings)


3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into chunks about 1 inch in size
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
2 teaspoons Shawarma spice and Indian Curry spice combined
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Method:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a plastic bag, pour oil and add spices and then potato pieces.  Using your hand, on the outside of bag, mush potatoes and spicy oil around so that potatoes are coated.

On a cookie sheet with a lip surrounding it, put diced potatoes and bake at 400 degrees F for one hour.  I was in a hurry, so I took them out, after 30 minutes and microwaved them for 4 additional minutes.

We love these and you can change up the seasoning to anything you like.  While it won't be Indian roasted, it will be really good.
Linked to:

Comments

  1. These look ever so GOOD! I didn't know Nigella did Indian style spuds! YUMM!!! I'm sorry I was later posting the SRC recipe I did off your beautiful blog. It's up now, with due apologies for thedelay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good. Nigella does make great recipes from the simplest ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Nigella and her simple yet delicious approach to cooking. This is yet another great recipe I need to try.

    Hope you can come over and share it at Foodie Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very original; love this combination of ingredients.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks easy enough to do, I will try it. I need to eat more potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Nigella's books and her recipes too - they always turn out well. Your Indian Roast potatoes look so delicious, and they would definitely be the perfect compliment to chicken - yum!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost