Mideastern Sweet Potatoes and Rice

This dish is one of those casseroles that fills you up without the need of any other dish.  Although, I used it as a side dish, I can see making this as a main with a large salad or a green vegetable.  It has a light sweet taste to it and you can't help but dig in.  


This came to me, when I was, shopping and saw some containers of chickpeas, in the refrigerated compartment.  I could eat this by the handful but decided to throw it into a dish that would benefit from its flavor.  Eating Well and Cooking Light always come through for me and not in a heavy handed way.  When, I spotted this recipe, I wanted to give it a try and I am glad that I did.


I don't think chickpeas are used enough.  I plan to look for more ways to use them in side and main dishes.  Any recommendations for recipes are welcome.


Mideastern Sweet Potatoes and Rice  (adapted from Eating Well)


Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 cup orange juice
3 cups organic vegetable broth
1 - 2 cups chickpeas
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2/3 cup brown basmati rice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Method:


Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the onions.

Cook, stirring often , until tender and well browned, 10 to 12 minutes. 
Add cumin and coriander and stir for about 15 seconds. 
Add orange juice and broth. 
Stir in chickpeas, sweet potato, rice and salt. 
Bring to a boil  and then lower to a simmer. 
Cover saucepan and cook until the rice is tender and the sweet potatoes are cooked completely, about 40 minutes. 
Season with pepper. 
Eat and enjoy.


Linked to Show Your Stuff   Gallery of Favorites    See Ya in the Gumbo             Mangia Mondays    My Meatless Mondays        Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays     Real Food Wednesdays
Pennywise Platter           Ultimate Recipe Swap            Rice Recipe Link-Up 

Comments

  1. lovely combination I haven't had like this

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really comforting and satisfying. I like the spices you have used too. We like chickpeas as well - in fact I used them in my Meatless Monday dish this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about chickpeas. They aren't used enough. This is an interesting combination and one I've never seen before. Really like that this could be the main dish. Nice, filling meatless meal. Thanks for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost