Broccoli & Shallots with Browned Almonds



Tomorrow, you will see my stuffed potato muffins which were in need of something else to complete lunch.  I usually go to a green vegetable when I have a starch for the main dish.  This time, it was broccoli, dressed up in wine, almonds and shallots.  


Broccoli seems to be an adaptable recipe as long as  you don't cook it for a long time and I often fall back on it, when a green is needed.  Spinach is good but it is a "pain" to have to squeeze out all the water, from it.  Beans are OK but they don't have the same "class" as broccoli.  I love peas but for some reason, I did not see them, with the potatoes and normally, I love mashed potatoes with a side of peas.  


Broccoli & Shallots with Browned Almonds


Ingredients:
1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 large shallots, chopped
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
1 - 2 cups broccoli florets (I used frozen)
1 tablespoon wine (I used white)
4 drops of hot cayenne sauce


Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet.  Add the minced garlic and shallots and cook for 2 minutes.


Add the almonds and cook until slightly browned.


Add the wine, cayenne sauce, red pepper and broccoli and stir together.


Cook for 5 minutes (I defrosted broccoli first) until vegetables are cooked.  Keep broccoli green.  In my most humble opinion, brown and mushy broccoli is horrid.  I want it crisp and green, if possible.  In this case, I lost that  "crisp" but kept the green.


This makes a great side dish and would go with meat, fish and poultry as well as a vegetarian meal.
Linked to Mop it Up Mondays 
Vegetarian Side Dishes and at Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes  

Comments

  1. I'm quite the fan of green beans and almonds, and I love broccoli, so this sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of broccoli. Dish looks yummy and thx for linking. Could you also link up to the event announcements please. Thx.

    Vardhini
    Event: Side Dishes
    Event: Spinach

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the addition of the hot sauce contrasts with the almonds, nice. Please share this on my foodie friday linky today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost