Kasha with Butternut Squash & Mango


For weeks, hubby has been asking for kasha and I just have not gotten to it so today was the day.  I like to add something to the kasha, it being a plain dish without a little oomph so I chose butternut squash, because I have it, in the house.  Then, I found a mango and that did it.  I had my dish.

Kasha with Butternut Squash (adapted from Spark People)

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Onion, chopped
1 tablespoon shredded ginger
2 cups kasha, cooked
1/2 teaspoon dried nutmeg
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 butternut squash, cut into  one inch cubes
1 mango, cut into small pieces
1 cup water
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 cup nuts

Method:

In a large sauce pan, heat the oil over medium heat. 

Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. 

Add golden raisins and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. 

Stir in the water, squash, and salt and bring to a simmer over high heat.

 Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender (about 25 minutes). 

Stir in the honey, kasha, mango, parsley, and nutmeg and cover. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 to 12 minute.  Top with nuts (I used walnuts, chopped) before serving.

Gluten Free Linky     Marvelous Mondays    Inspire Me Monday

Comments

  1. I couldn't find kasha for the longest time, so my mom got me a box. Of course, it's been sitting in my pantry for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a delicious dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious. I love kasha and with ginger and honeyit sounds so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried Kasha. I am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not knowing exactly what Kasha was, I had to do a quick search. I should have know this with a Russian and Hungarian background LOL. But, regardless what Kasha was, you had me at butternut squash and mango. What a brilliant blend of taste and textures! Hope to see you share this recipe in our linky (http://allergiesandceliac.com/?p=255)this week. Have a wonderful week Chaya ☺

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost