Roasted Garlic Onions


Usually when I roast onions, I roast them with other vegetables. Roasted vegetables are always liked and I find that the onions are a great favorite. People come back for more and even pick them out of the mixed veggies. Garlic is not popular in our house. I love it. My husband does not. This time, I wanted that garlic flavor so I asked him, if he would bypass the onion dish and he, of course, said that he would.

While hubby is not the most global eater, he is usually a doll when I want to make something he can't eat. I should mention that it is not only that he does not like the taste of garlic; he gets sick if he eats it. I can put a little garlic powder into a dish but it is really so little, it does not affect the taste. That, he handles. If I put a lot in, even if he is not aware of it, he does have a reaction. At this point, I just don't use it unless I make a separate plate without the garlic. As a result, I don't have garlic in my kitchen. I keep garlic powder and use that if necessary.

Garlic Roasted Onions

Ingredients:

6 large onions, cut into wedges

a lot of garlic powder (I don't measure it. I sprinkle it over the onions. If you want a measurement, start with a teaspoon and see how you like it.)

1/2 teaspoon salt

a random spice (I used a curry seasoning but only 1/2 teaspoon. You could use anything you want, Italian blend, Mediterranean blend, thyme, rosemary, you name it.)

Spray olive oil or 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil.



Method:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Cover a cookie sheet or roasting pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. I use parchment paper.

Method 1:

Place onion wedges on cookie sheet in a single layer.


Sprinkle garlic over onions. Sprinkle salt over onions. Sprinkle random spice over onions.

Spray olive oil over all the onions.

Bake in 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes. The onions soften and start to brown. You should select the firmness or softness you like. Cook longer for softer onion wedges.

Method 2:

Preheat oven and line cookie sheet as in method 1.

Place onion wedges in a large bowl. Combine spices and olive oil in a glass mixing cup or a coffee cup or glass.

Pour spiced olive oil over wedges. With spoon, mix around until all of the wedges are coated and spiced. (If you prefer, you can take a sealed bag and place olive oil mixture in it. Add onions and on the outside of the sealed bag, you can rub it around to get the onions coated.

If you would like to, let it sit for a half an hour.

Pour out onto the cookie sheets and spread in a single layer.



Bake as abov
e.

Comments

  1. I bet the house does smell wonderful while these are roasting! YUM! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roasted veggies of any kind are so much better. Onions and garlic would be right at the top of my list. Thanks for the wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost