Overloaded Mashed Potatoes


I was going to make the Joy of Kosher stuffed potatoes tonight.  After baking the potatoes, I realized, they were too small and the skin to thin and it was not going to work.  I decided to take everything and mix it together and have overloaded mashed potatoes.

I ran into another problem.  Mashing baked potatoes is not the same as mashing boiled potatoes.  Mine had formed a slight browning crust on the outside and the potatoes are not as soft.  Using my ricer and my muscles, I managed to do a half-way presentable job, not fluffy potatoes, but riced ones.

I don't think it mattered in the finished product because the "overloaded" part was plentiful and delicious.  I have a feeling, it would not have been as good, with creamy potatoes.  With the broccoli and red onions popping out, it had an interesting texture.


Overstuffed Mashed Baked Potatoes (based on Joy of Kosher)

Ingredients:

4 small medium potatoes, cooked
1/2 red onion, rough chopped
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup sour cream (light)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup chopped frozen broccoli, defrosted
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons fresh chives

Method: (I would change the title to boiled instead of baked and boil the potatoes.)

Bake potatoes at 400 degrees for 50 minutes.

While they are baking, heat oil in a skillet and cook red onion for 5 minutes, adding broccoli for another 3 minutes. (to warm )

Remove skins and mash or rice potatoes with vegetable broth and sour cream.  Add onion and broccoli and mix well.

Cut fresh chives into mashed potatoes and mix once more.

Using an ice cream scoop  or a measuring cup, make balls out of the overloaded potatoes and place on a baking sheet or pizza pan.  Shred Cheddar on top of the balls and bake for 10 minutes or until  cheese is melted. (350 degrees)

I used less cheese than the original recipe to save on fat and salt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost