Yanka's Ukrainian Meatball-Spinach Soup



I  did not expect to enjoy cooking from the Ukraine as much as I am.  I also made this soup with trepidation.  I first had to take into consideration the hot weather which is not soup weather.  Hubby and I had decided, other than cold soups, hot soups would wait until the Fall to be served in our house.  I have even taken a break from making the weekly Sabbath chicken soup.

Secondly, meatball soups have never attracted me.  Meatballs in water ...... ugh.  How I did change my mind and hubby's response was, "Don't lose this recipe.  It is the best......"

This soup sang in your mouth.  I am not even sure what flavors were coming through.  They just blended into a wondrous concoction.  This would be a five star recipe.

Yanka's Ukrainian Meatball-Spinach Soup

2 large eggs
2/3 cup long-grain white rice
1 pound ground lean beef 

 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
About 1/8 teaspoon pepper
About 1/4 cup brown rice flour
1 pint organic vegetable broth plus 1 cup of water
1 package fresh baby spinach leaves , rinsed and drained
 

Method:

Combine rice, beef, onion, lemon peel, lemon juice, oregano, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Mix well.
 

Put flour on a plate. Shape meat mixture into 1-inch balls, rolling each in flour as formed; shake off excess. Set balls slightly apart on a sheet of waxed paper.
 

In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring broth to a boil. Add meatballs, reduce heat, and simmer about 15 minutes.

Add spinach leaves and stir gently until wilted, about 5 minutes. In a small bowl, beat with a fork egg to blend. Pour into soup, stirring. Ladle soup into wide bowls. Add salt and pepper to taste. 



Eat and enjoy.

adapted from Sunset  MARCH 2001

Comments

  1. Hi, This is a very healthy dish and to me it's a one-dish meal which is fuss-free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that looks delicious!! Will keep it on my to-do list for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so very good! I'm going to have it for supper tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chaya!
    This soup sounds so yummy especially with the addition of lemon juice. It has such a way of kicking up anything it is added too. Of course adding the spinach makes it a bit healthier too:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Chaya...and thank you so much for joining us for Meatball Day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost