Cheese Puff Blintz


For years, I have made real blintzes and a blintz souffle which consists of store-bought blintzes covered with a batter that tastes like a blintz. Both are good. When, I spotted this one, I was curious to find out if it tasted like either.

This is an easy recipe. You do have to time each segment and for me, that is a problem. I love to put something in the oven and go back for a finished product. This is a three-layered blintz with two separate baking times. It is not really much especially, if you make the filling while the first ten minute baking, is going on. Probably, because I was baking something else, at the same time, I got annoyed with the interruption.

I enjoy puttering around the kitchen and although I think I should not enjoy the chopping and frying and shredding and dicing, I do. It is a challenge to organize myself and my kitchen to make for effortless (almost) cooking.

Cheese Puff Blintz adapted from Food.com This is half a recipe. I was only cooking for two and there was enough for 4. I want to try this putting fruit in the middle layer with the cheese.

Ingredients:
Batter

2 large eggs
 
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoons vanilla yogurt
1/8 cup oil
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ + 1/6 cups flour Gluten free)
1 tablespoon sweetner (honey or sugar)
2 teaspoons baking powder

Filling
8 ounces farmer cheese
8 ounces ricotta cheese
1  egg
1 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Method:

Preheat oven to 350°F.

With a blender or mixer, combine the batter ingredients until very smooth.

Pour 1 1/2 cups of the batter into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.

Bake for about 10 minutes or until set.

Meanwhile, combine the filling ingredients and mix well.

When bottom layer of batter has set, remove the baking pan from the oven and smoothly spread the cheese filling over it.

Briefly remix the remaining batter and then gently pour it over the filling, covering it completely.

Return the pan to the oven and continue to bake for 45-50 minutes or until the top is puffed, set, and browned.

Remove the Blintz Puff from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before cutting it into squares.

Serve immediately, plain or with toppings. (ICinnamon and sugar would  be yummy. Of course, there is also maple syrup, honey, fruit or nuts.  I would add another tablespoon of sugar or honey to the cheese mixture. It was not enough sweet, for my taste.

Comments

  1. This is something I've never made...or even eaten. Looks good! I like your idea of adding fruit.
    Thanks for sharing, Chaya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I heard of blintz...looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did it taste like a blintz? I love blintzes, but hate to make them for some reason--too many steps, unless I use store-bought, and then I feel like I "cheated".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost