My Meatless Mondays - Cabbage and Noodle Kugel

Cooking InspiredUsually, after making a half dozen recipes from a cookbook, I am ready to move on. That is not the case with Estee Shaftra's, Cooking Inspired.    I keep finding recipes, I can't wait to make.     For this Shabbos,  I took her Cabbage and Noodle Kugel to our youngest's home.  I made them like Estee did in Minis because I wanted to keep some for us at home.     

I have made Cabbage and Noodles for years.  In fact, that was one of the dishes, my Mom made, when I was a child so it a comfort food, for me.  Turning it into a kugel is Estee's idea and a good one.  I will be glad to add this to serve for our Shabbos company.        








Cabbage and Noodle Kugel - adapted to be Gluten-Free from Estee Shafra

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons olive oil
1 bag shredded green cabbage
2 leeks and 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
1 teaspoon sugar -
1 12 oz. package gluten-free spaghetti (no noodles available)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 eggs -
1 egg yolk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup potato chip crumbs
2/3 cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Method:

1. In a large, shallow pot, sauté the leek, onions and cabbage in 3 tablespoons oil, for about 45 minutes over a low flame. Sprinkle in the sugar half way through cooking, and mix so that it all caramelizes evenly.

2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

3. Heat a pot of boiling water. Cook the spaghetti for a minute or two less than package directions. Strain and rinse under cold water, and immediately toss with 1 teaspoon of oil to prevent noodles from sticking together.

4. In a large bowl, place the eggs, yolk, sugar,crumbs, oil, salt and  pepper. Mix, then add noodles and sautéed cabbage and leek.

5. Grease 2 9" pans or 12 cupcake tins. Pour in the noodle mixture. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees, and bake 30 minutes more for muffins, or 45 minutes for 9” rounds.

These were a real treat.
Looking back:

Foccacia         I want, I want, I want!

 

Edible Dessert Cups - Winnie does it again.

A  good title for these lovely cookies.

  

Now, it is your turn, and we are waiting to see this week's delightful dishes.  Please link below.      

Comments

  1. THANK YOU Chaya for featuring my Edible Dessert Cups
    My Mom used to make these and I'm glad I recreated them :)

    Have a wonderful week and thanks for the party

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for highlighting my cookies! And for the great party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like mini food...good portion control!
    Thank you for sharing, Chaya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how adorable Chaya:) I have never had Cabbage and Noodle Kugel. It must be delicious. You sure do come up with some interesting Meatless Monday dishes. I really need to start thinking more about Monday as a meatless day. Perhaps next year:) Thank you so much for sharing, Chaya...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the party Chaya and wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and happy holidays !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost