Waste Not-Want Not Mushrooms


I should give this blog s new name.  It has become a blog to answer the question, "What do I do with the ..._________________ on the shelf or in the freezer or refrigerator.  No matter my plans, no matter the recipe, I tend to spot a box of something that I want to use up and the recipe changes, on the spot.

As a result, my cupboards are clearing out and my refrigerator is neater than usual.  My upright freezer is a dream to use with its designated shelves that are remaining in good order.

I had bought mushrooms for another recipe which I decided not to make.  This meant a package of beautiful mushrooms with no where to go.  Waste not - want not.  I had to use the mushrooms and I had a desire for potatoes.  Now I have mushrooms and potatoes and there are always onions around .  I pulled a large one out and came across the recipe below which was now going to happen.

This is another easy recipe if you don't mind mashing potatoes and browning vegetables.  I use my masher and it does a great job and I get creamy mashed potatoes.  My masher is in my top ten "helpers" in the kitchen.


Onion Mushroom Kugel

2 1/2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled
dash salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 lb small mushroom, quartered
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup vegetable broth
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Method:

Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water.  Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until very tender.  Drain and cool slightly.

Preheat oven to 350°F

Heat oil in a large skillet.  Saute onions over medium heat approximately 7 minutes or until lightly browned.

Add mushrooms and saute until browned.

While onions and mushrooms are cooking, cut potatoes into large pieces and roughly mash.  Stir broth in with potatoes, then add beaten eggs.

Stir in 1 cup mushroom onion mixture, salt and pepper.

Spoon  the potato mixture into a 8 x 8 square casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.  Top with remaining mushroom onion mixture, then with remaining potato.
Smooth top of potatoes and sprinkle with paprika.

Bake uncovered for 50 minutes or until top is firm and light golden at edges.


Eat and enjoy.

Linked to See Ya in The Gumbo

Comments

  1. One of my pet peeves is wasting food. I definitely appreciate finding uses for what's in the fridge, freezer, and pantry before going out and buying more food.

    This is an excellent use of what you had on hand, but doesn't seem like it was made with "this and that." It's a well put together recipe in its own right! Thank you for linking, Chaya.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost