Cabbage Kugel


The first time, I made a cabbage kugel, it was with great trepidation. It just did not sound appealing. Then we sat down to eat it.  My daughter didn't want any but politely took a small piece.  All of a sudden, everyone was happy.  Everybody liked the dish and it disappeared quickly.  Who knew?

This time, I make it with confidence.  I tasted a bit and love it.  I am serving it for the Jewish holidays so I have not served it yet.

Cooking for the holidays is an experience,  We are having four families with kids.  Most of them will stay with us.  My daughter is taking two of the girls at her house.  That means, people sleeping in the bedrooms and the living room.  It means (forgive me) a long line to the bathrooms.  It means, food disappearing quickly.  It means cousins playing with cousins.  It means having the newlyweds in the midst of all of this.

Cooking six major meals (three days - two several course meals, each day with a third meal on the Sabbath) is a major deal.  I have been on my feet cooking since Sunday.  Tomorrow is salad day.  Tonight is desserts.  To me, it meant not eating any meals, only tasting.  Who has time to eat?

Both my daughter-in-law and daughter are bringing food and at that I have been up to all hours of the morning cooking, non-stop.   I don't think, I took pictures of some of the dishes (can you imagine not even thinking of doing that with a camera a few feet away?)

I have an upright freezer and it is filled with food for the meals plus what is in the refrigerator.  This is all surreal.  I would not believe it if it was not my home.  I do this every year, a few times a year and I still jump in with both feet and don't look back.

Taking into account that hubby has celiac and gets sick from garlic, there is little prepared, I could bring in so I don't even consider it.  

This is a major challenge and I love every minute of it.

If I remember the funny incidents after the holidays, I will share some of them with you.  A sense of humor is really important when doing this kind of cooking.  My therapy is the chopping.  I love it.

Here is the kugel and I say with joy that I highly recommend it.

Cabbage Kugel

Ingredients :

1/4 cup margarine
2 bags shredded cabbage
3 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 large onion, sliced
3 eggs
1/3 cup corn meal
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
ground black pepper to taste

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.

Melt margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. 

Cook and stir cabbage and onion in the margarine until the vegetables are very tender and dark brown, 25 to 30 minutes.

Whisk eggs,corn meal, cider vinegar, sugar, and black pepper in a large bowl; allow mixture to rest for about 3 minutes.

Stir cabbage mixture and carrots into egg mixture until well mixed; pour mixture into prepared baking dish.

Bake kugel in the preheated oven until browned, about 30 minutes.

Comments

  1. Dear Chaya, You sound so very excited for all the cooking and visiting in your house. It is always comforting to have the delicious smell of cooking and the hustle and bustle of people coming and going.
    I wish you a very good holiday and try to enjoy all the wonderful cooking you are doing.
    The kugel sounds very good and healthy too. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaya,
    Oh can I relate! When my kids were little, we would pack up for the holidays all the yom tov clothes, shoes, toiletries, pj's and find a place to sleep anywhere and everywhere at my parent's house. We would eat between my parents home and my inlaws a block away. My husband's sisters and families would be there and what fun all the cousins had. Lots of wonderful food, lots of laughing and joking and lots and lots of cooking in advance and work for the women!
    They are wonderful memories ! Chag Samach..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you were probably hesitant to try it at first - but you make it look and sound delicious! Thanks for sharing on Weekend Bites

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great dish we would really enjoy this Kugel. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday and have a fabulous day!
    Hope to see you soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your holidays sound like really lovely, joyful occasions, Chaya. It's wonderful that you have the family all together like that (although I appreciate the logistics must be quite tricky!). Your Cabbage Kugel sounds like a lovely dish - perfect for a holiday celebration. Thank you for being a part of the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost