Jacques Pepin's Gratin of Eggs


I was at Kim's blog, Stirring the Pot and saw a photo of this wonderful recipe. Like everyone else who looked at it, I wanted to get into that kitchen and make it. I did just that, just not at that moment. It took me one whole day to make it happen.

I love hard boiled yolks but I am not crazy about the whites of the egg.  I was a bit hesitant about that and I didn't love the whites in the finish dish but the sauce was delicious and almost negated the whites.  I would like to try this with vegetables.  I could see a spinach gratin being delicious.

I seem to be getting back to  I Heart Cooking Club and I hope, I can keep committed.  With summer vacation coming, I just may be able to get back to this and other fun blogging activities.

It has been a hard two years for our family and what I need the most is a nice normal life and blogging is part of "normal" for me.

Jacques Pepin is not a chef I know a lot about and I am excited to learn more about him and his style of cooking.  Certainly, this recipe was a good one to be the first.IHCCCheeseCollage
Jacques Pepin's Gratin of Eggs (I cut this in half and made some changes)


6 -7 hard-boiled eggs
2 tablespoons butter
1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced onions (I used red because I had them) 
1 tablespoon gluten free brown rice flour
1 1⁄2 cups milk
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
1⁄2 cup grated Edom  (recipe called for Swiss)

Method:


Slice eggs and arrange them in one 4 to 6 cup gratin dish .


Melt butter in a saucepan and when hot, add onions; cook them over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 2 or 3 minutes until they sizzle and have just started to brown.

Add flour, mix well, and cook for 30 seconds.

Add milk, salt, pepper; stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil then lower the heat and let sauce simmer gently for about a minute.

Pour over the eggs in the gratin dish.

Mix the sauce and eggs gently, sprinkle with grated cheese, and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 10 to 12 minutes.


Eat and enjoy
Whimsy Wednesday             Waste Not Want Not Wednesday         Lou Lou Girls      Creative Munster                         What's Cooking Wednesday 

     

Comments

  1. This gratin dish filled with delicious onions, eggs and cheeses, is something I'd love to make for breakfast or lunch or anytime in the day. Thanks for bringing it to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! Great choice. Thanks for sharing with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks incredibly rich and delicious! What a great idea to use the sauce on a vegetable instead of the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to read that your family has had a rough two years. I certainly hope things improve. Please feel free to join in IHCC whenever time allows. We are happy you participate whenever you can!

    Your egg and onion gratin looks delicious! I also like your idea of trying this with a vegetable -spinach would be fabulous! Thanks so much for your kind words:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chaya,
    This is just the kind of dish that my family would love! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does look good, Chaya. I don't know much about Pepin either, but lucky me found a cookbook at a flea market $1. Looking forward to using lots of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost